Tuesday, January 01, 2008

So long 2007 and no thanks for all the fish!

We’ve closed one door and opened yet another. As I’m writing this, I cannot quite decide if I want to rewind on 2007 or guess-forward for 2008.

The past year has been a good and bad one for me. It began with some bad news in terms of CAT results. More bad news followed as more results trickled in. January 07 pretty much shut the lid on some of my ambitions. The first six months were spent immersed in work, trying to get over the results season. It was punctuated by a not-so-hard decision I had to make over Symbiosis… I have no regrets over that, no matter what anyone else might say/think.

The second half was spent in trying to secure a second and alternate foothold to realize my ambitions. And that part is hanging in mid air now. By March of this year, I should know if the seeds of last August will bear fruit or not. The second half was also witness to a surprise development I thought I’d never see in my career here – the visa!

And now here 2008 is! In another 4 days, I’ll be off to Madison, on my assignment. I never looked for this to happen, so I’m in denial for now. I can’t believe I’m actually going, and I don’t know how long I’ll be gone. If this is going to mark the trend for the rest of the year, then I’d say this year is going to be pretty eventful for me! A new country, new people, new experiences, lots of travel… sounds promising enough. I just hope there’s lots of money thrown in there as well ;)

But as I step outside, I can’t help feeling sad for the safety and familiarity I am leaving behind in my country, my family and my friends. I feel sad knowing that I won’t be a part of the daily routine at home that I’ve gotten so used to over the last couple of years. Still, I think I’ll feel some enthusiasm once I get on that flight on Friday night.

There’s a lot to look forward to and I know that this time next year, my life would have changed a lot! I can just begin to feel the gentle breeze that preludes the winds of change.



7 comments:

'Smee! said...

I'm hoping our Monica will turn into a Phoebe :P

Ashwin Alexander said...

no Madison-related post yet?

Ashwin Alexander said...

no Madison-related post yet?

Ashwin Alexander said...

no Madison-related post yet?

Ashwin Alexander said...

no Madison-related post yet?

Ashwin Alexander said...

no Madison-related post yet?

MechaniGal said...

Talk about persistence!!!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin